MedlinePlus is a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the world's largest medical library, which is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). It was built as an online health information resource for patients and their families and friends.
MedlinePlus presents high-quality, easy to understand, relevant health and wellness information that is trusted.
MedlinePlus at a Glance
- Offers information on health topics, human genetics, medical tests, medications, dietary supplements, and healthy recipes.
- Sourced from more than 1,600 selected organizations.
- Provides 40,000 links to authoritative health information in English and 18,000 links to information in Spanish.
- In 2018, 277 million users viewed MedlinePlus more than 700 million times.
What are club drugs?
Club drugs are group of psychoactive drugs. They act on the central nervous system and can cause changes in mood, awareness, and behavior. These drugs are most often used by young adults at bars, concerts, nightclubs, and parties. Club drugs, like most drugs, have nicknames that change over time or are different in different areas of the country.
What are the different types of club drugs?
The most commonly used types of club drugs include:
- MDMA (Methylenedioxymethamphetamine), also called Ecstasy and Molly
- GHB (Gamma-hydroxybutyrate), also known as G and Liquid Ecstasy
- Ketamine, also known as Special K and K
- Rohypnol, also known as Roofies
- Methamphetamine, also known as Speed, Ice, and, Meth
- LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide), also known as Acid
Some of these drugs are approved for certain medical uses. Other uses of these drugs are misuse.
What are date rape drugs?
Date rape drugs are any type of drug or alcohol used to make sexual assault easier. Someone could put one in your drink when you are not looking. Or you may be drinking alcohol or taking a drug, and a person may make it stronger without you knowing.
Club drugs are also sometimes used as "date rape" drugs. These drugs are very powerful. They can affect you very quickly, and you might not know that something is wrong. The length of time that the effects last varies. It depends on how much of the drug is in your body and if the drug is mixed with other drugs or alcohol. Alcohol can make the effects of drugs even stronger and can cause serious health problems - even death.
Are there steps I can take to protect myself from date rape drugs?
To try to avoid date rape drugs,:
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Don't accept drinks from other people
- If drinking from a can or bottle, open your drink yourself
- Look out for your friends, and ask them to look out for you