MedlinePlus is a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the world's largest medical library, which is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). It was built as an online health information resource for patients and their families and friends.
MedlinePlus presents high-quality, easy to understand, relevant health and wellness information that is trusted.
MedlinePlus at a Glance
- Offers information on health topics, human genetics, medical tests, medications, dietary supplements, and healthy recipes.
- Sourced from more than 1,600 selected organizations.
- Provides 40,000 links to authoritative health information in English and 18,000 links to information in Spanish.
- In 2018, 277 million users viewed MedlinePlus more than 700 million times.
Blood Count Tests
Your blood contains red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells (WBC), and platelets. Blood count tests measure the number and types of cells in your blood. This helps doctors check on your overall health. The tests can also help to diagnose diseases and conditions such as anemia, infections, clotting problems, blood cancers, and immune system disorders.
Specific types include tests for:
- RBC - the numbers, size, and types of RBC in the blood
- WBC - the numbers and types of WBC in the blood
- Platelets - the numbers and size of the platelets
- Hemoglobin - an iron-rich protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen
- Hematocrit - how much space red blood cells take up in your blood
- Reticulocyte count - how many young red blood cells are in your blood
- Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) - the average size of your red blood cells
The complete blood count (CBC) includes most or all of these. The CBC is one of the most common blood tests.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute