Multiple Creatinine Clearance Methods
new beta multi-calc was created with specialized handling of patients
with a height below 60 inches. It also contains all of the functionality of
this calculator as well as the calculation of the GFR.
Check it out
For MDRD equation. specify race
Is the serum creatinine (Scr) currently stable
Select serum creatinine reference standard: [more info
Restrict the maximum calculated clearance to this value:
Cockcroft and Gault equation utilizing the tbw (Total body weight) to
calculate an estimated CrCL - Cockcroft and Gault equation:
CrCl = [(140
- age) x TBW] / (Scr x 72) (x 0.85 for females)
Gault equation utilizing the ibw (Ideal body weight) to calculate an
estimated creatinine clearance
Cockcroft and Gault equation:
[(140 - age) x IBW] / (Scr x 72) (x 0.85 for females)
Note: if the
ABW (actual body weight) is less than the IBW use the actual body weight for
calculating the CRCL.
Estimate Ideal body weight in (kg)
IBW = 50 kg + 2.3 kg for each inch over 5 feet.
Females: IBW = 45.5 kg +
2.3 kg for each inch over 5 feet.
Cockcroft and Gault equation utilizing the adjusted body weight to
calculate an estimated creatinine clearance
CrCl = [(140 - age) x AjBW] / (Scr x 72)
Note: (Multiply result by 0.85 for females)
AjBW = adjusted body weight:
AjBW = IBW + 0.4( ABW - IBW)
Males: IBW = 50 kg +
2.3 kg for each inch over 5 feet.
Females: IBW = 45.5 kg + 2.3 kg for
each inch over 5 feet.
Some studies have shown that utilizing the
adjusted body weight improves accuracy compared to other commonly used
equations in estimating the creatinine clearance in the elderly population.
Simplified 4-variable MDRD study formula:
GFR = 186.3 x (SCR)-1.154 x (age in
years)-0.203 x 1.212 (if patient is black) x 0.742 (if female)
Key point: Early statistical analysis shows very promising results. May
represent the most accurate choice of this group. This may be especially
true in chronic kidney disease.
- Cockcroft DW, Gault MH. Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum
creatinine. Nephron 1976;16(1):31-41
- Davis GA, Chandler MH. Comparison of creatinine clearance estimation
methods in patients with trauma. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 1996;53:1028-32.
- Dawson-Saunders B, Trapp RG. Basic and Clinical Biostatistics. 2nd ed.
Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange; 1994.
- Demirovic JA, Pai AB, Pai MP. Estimation of creatinine clearance in
morbidly obese patients. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2009; 66: 642-648
[PMID: 19299371 DOI: 10.2146/ajhp080200]
- Dettli LC. Drug dosage in patients with renal disease. Clin Pharmacol
- Dooley MJ, Singh S, Rischin D. Rounding of low serum creatinine levels
and consequent impact on accuracy of bedside estimates of renal
function in cancer patients. Br J Cancer 2004; 90: 991-995 [PMID:
14997195 DOI: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6601641]
- Drusano LG, Munice HL, Hoopes JM et al. Commonly used methods of
estimating creatinine clearance are inadequate for elderly debilitated
nursing home patients. J Am Geriatrics Soc 1998;36:437-41.
- Hailemeskel B, Namanny M, Kurz A. Estimating aminoglycoside dosage
requirements in patients with low serum creatinine concentrations. Am J
Health-Syst Pharm 1997;54:986-7.
- Jelliffe RW. Estimation of creatinine clearance when urine cannot be
collected. Lancet 1971;1:975-6.
- Levey AS, Greene T, Kusek JW, et al. A simplified equation to predict
glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine (Abstr) J Am Soc Nephrol
- Levey AS, Greene T, Schluchter MD, et al. Glomerular filtration rate
measurements in clinical trials. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study
Group and the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. J Am
Soc Nephrol 1993;4(5):1159-71
- Levey AS. Assessing the effectiveness of therapy to prevent the
progression of renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1993;22(1):207-14
- Levey AS, Bosch JP, Lewis JB, et al. A more accurate method to estimate
glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation.
Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group. Ann Intern Med
- Rhodes RS, Sims PJ, Culbertson VL et al. Accuracy of creatinine
clearance estimates in geriatric males with elevated serum creatinine
clearance. J Geriatric Drug Ther 1991;5:31-45.
- Smythe M, Hoffman J, Kizy K et al. Estimating creatinine clearance in
elderly patients with low serum creatinine concentrations. Am J Hosp Pharm
- Wilhelm SM, Kale-Pradhan PB. Estimating creatinine clearance: a
meta-analysis. Pharmacotherapy 2011; 31: 658-664 [PMID: 21923452 DOI:
- Winter MA, Guhr KN, Berg GM. Impact of various body weights and
serum creatinine concentrations on the bias and accuracy of the
Cockcroft-Gault equation. Pharmacotherapy 2012; 32: 604-612 [PMID:
22576791 DOI: 10.1002/j.1875-9114.2012.01098.x]